||The Franz & Pope Automatic Knitting Machine was manufactured in 1872 by the Franz and Pope Knitting Machine Company of Bucyrus, Ohio. Vibrantly advertised as a family knitting machine of unlimited use, the firm declared:
"There is scarcely an article of fancy apparel or household adornment that can not be made upon it with perfect facility and ease."
Notwithstanding, the Franz & Pope Automatic Knitting Machine was devised chiefly to knit hosiery:
"Its practical utility in the manufacture of substantial hosiery, in which it stands without a rival, is of course, its chief recommendation. But this is only one out of the multiplied uses to which it may be applied."
Long stockings, balmoral work, mittens, gloves, fringe, cording, house shoes, bibs, children's waistcoats, ladies' girdles, fanchons and similar knitwear could be knitted with ease on the Franz and Pope Automatic Knitting Machine.
Creating ornamental stitches was an additional amusement, for the manual concluded with almost a dozen fancy stitch patterns.
The Franz & Pope instruction manual features 32 pages of teaching on the operation of the knitting machine. A photocopy of the Franz & Pope instruction manual is available in english.